A friend of mine just got hacked. All of her passwords have been
changed for many sites, and they also changed the email address and
phone number registered with each site, so she has no way to recover
her accounts. Imagine how painful this would be if it happens to
you. Your digital life is over. You lose all of your data. You have to
start all over again from scratch. Here is my quick advice:
- Always install latest software updates, especially for your
operating system and for your browsers.
- I think Macs get hacked less often than Windows computers.
- Don't click on links from people you do not know, or which seem suspicious.
- Install 1password (or other
password manager) and use a different password on every site.
- Use gmail for your email, as Google has
better anti-spam and anti-virus technology than other email providers.
- Very important - setup two step verification for
all other places
where you want to protect yourself from a hacker taking over your account.
Important: use Google Authenticator (or similar) instead of your phone
number SMS for verification, since hackers can now SIM hack your phone.
- Add a security PIN (in addition to the online password)
to your phone service for account access when you call them.