I have many interests, so I've had to create some discipline for how I manage my schedule.
Here are my time management tricks:
- Color code my calendar for: my company Lola, non-profit, self-improvement (gym, meditation class, medical), and recreation/downtime/friends/family.
- Every Monday morning, I review my upcoming week with my assistant to make sure things look in balance.
- Do Lola work meetings between 10am-5pm, and nonprofit stuff before or after those times.
- Leave noon-2pm open every day for casual Lola work lunches for whatever comes up each day.
- Be mindful of what percentage of my meetings were initiated by me vs. requested from others. Keep a balance of proactive vs. reactive.
- Trust my team. I do not need to be in every meeting or on every email chain.
- Do one touch email handling which keeps my inbox about ten items on average.
- Make sure I have at least a couple meetings each day which are super fun / high energy, e.g., product design reviews.
- See also: how I run meetings.
What are your tricks?